Think – seen someone do something really hard, courageous, inspiring
- Mother Teresa; afraid in front of people read at Mass
- Step out in faith – Peter out of boat
Peter = all of us: Three ways to live lives: In, out, on edge.
First: In boat – easy way to live, rest of disciples chose
- What is boat? Safety, security – most ppl are
- See Js – safe distance away, doesn’t ask much
Second: On edge
- Gospel doesn’t say how Peter out of boat – impulsive, jumped
- Maybe more cautious – me if brave enough to try
- One foot out, test water – one firmly in boat
- Don’t know what Peter did – Suspect how most live most of time
- Want to follow Js, trust him – sometimes inspired step out, big
- Doubts, fears – really Js wants? Wrong? Trust? Good enough?
- Hesitate – one foot out, one solid life I know
- Student – high school, college – Known as Xv, come to church (other don’t)
- Foot in water – But night before, drink, hide faith – foot in boat
- Business – run well, honest, employees and customers well
- But chance make lot of money if unethical/ hurt ppl
- Or positive: chance use expertise mission to poor country
- Face question – Get out of boat, follow Js – hold back, sit on edge
- Hurt – Forgive? – Hold to hurt?
- Know forgiving hard, take time – try to forgive, start – hold on?
- Step of faith to Js – hold to old life know?
- Say most of us spend most of time – also hard place to be
- Faith not meant to live half way – If Js God, asks us to follow – why hold back?
Last: Out of boat – live faith boldly – life whole-heartedly – nothing matter more
- What if fail? Step out, doesn’t work? Ok. Look at Peter. Walked for while, sunk
- Sunk, what happened? Js ignore? Disappointment?
- Reach out hand, caught him.
For you, your life, now. Mean? How God asking you out of boat, follow?